1. The history of Tuchów is very rich and interesting. The first historical note about Tuchów dates back to 1105. A Pope legate Idzi’s document tells us that Tuchow had been given to the Benedictine Abbey by Wladyslaw Herman’s wife.
There was a prosperous salt mine at the turn of the XIII and XIV centuries, which caused that Kazimierz the Great granted Tuchów with town rights.
Polish writer, Jan Długosz, wrote in his “Chronicles” about the development of manufacture: flourmill, carpentry, blacksmiths and furriery. By the XVII century, the town had been developing by making profits from different crafts, salt exploitation and trade. By that time merchants from Tuchów had already traded with Rome, Lvov, Moscow, Berlin and Vienna. In the XVII and XVIII centuries, the town started to fall because of invasions of foreign armies, fires and outbreaks. The railway connection between Tarnów and Leluchów was opened in the XIX century, which contributed to the economical revival of the town.
In the XVI century, the cult of Holy Mary the Virgin started. The news about the miracles that had happened in front of Her picture spread quickly. Since that time hundreds of pilgrims has been coming every year to the Sanctuary to worship Her. Yearly celebrations take place in the first week of July. Tuchów was seriously affected by the results of the WW1. There are a few cemeteries which remind of heavy battles that took place in that area.
However, during the WW2, the town was saved and as a result it started to develop gradually after 1945. Schools and a hospital were built as well as some small plants and housing estates. The town hall and the market square were renovated, the “Culture Centre” and the sewage treatment plant were built. The gas pipe system and water lines were also carried into effect. There are 6632 inhabitants in Tuchów at present.
2. Administrative unit of Tuchów is situated in Ciężkowice-Rożnów part of the Carpathian Region, by which the river “Biała” flows. Such a location is very advantageous, just 16 kilometres from Tarnów and 100 from Krakow. The arterial road of małopolska voyevodeship ,which links Tarnów with Krynica, runs through the town. There is also railway line called “Leluchowska” that links gmina with almost the whole Europe.The picturesque scenery that surrounds Tuchów appeared during the process of creating the Carpathian mountains. There are beautiful hills with mild slopes. Brzanka is the highest hill in the area. It is one of the tourist attractions of the region.
In 1990 Tuchów celebrated its 650th anniversary of granting with town rights, which was a good occasion to open a tourist route around the town ( 20 km long ).
There are also farms that offer accommodation for tourists. It is worth to visit Tuchów, especially during summer and autumn when there are plenty of mushrooms, raspberries and blueberries in the forest.
The authorities of Tuchów cooperates with 7 other towns from 7 different European countries:
· Saint Jean de Braye- France
· Illingen – Germany
· Pettenbach- Austria
· Detva – Slovakia
· Martfu – Hungary
· Mikulov – The Czech Republic
· Baranivka – The Ukraine
Headquarters: Ratusz, ul. Rynek1
Administrative offices, ul. Jana Pawła II 4
Tel. + 48 14 652 51 76, + 48 14 652 54 74
Fax.: + 48 14 652 51 09
5. The authorities:
Adam Drogoś – the mayor of the town
Kazimierz Kurczab – deputy mayor
Ryszard Wrona – the chairman of the Town Council